28 June, 2012

BIG step into the right direction...



I believe every American should watch the below video as the President points out what Obamacare, i.e. socialized healthcare really means! It is not a political move, it is a basic right that should be supported by a society that is as developed and wealthy as the USA.



I believe in socialized healthcare, mainly because I experienced it's great benefits to a society and my personal life. It is wrong to not have affordable or yet free healthcare in a country that is as rich as the USA. It is ethically incomprehensible  for me that people still go bankrupt because they are hit with a major illness and cannot afford to pay for their treatments...families are ruined and for people to not acknowldge this fact is just wrong.

The funny thing is that most opposers to socialized healthcare are either part of an elite that is very wealthy and never had to think twice about a struggle in life or has a government job, which in turn provides them with a socialized healthcare system. All federal, state, county or city jobs have a great healthcare plan that is paid for by taxpayers - and guess what - that is what socialized healthcare is!

I gladly pay more in taxes if that means that I have adequate healthcare - just like in Europe. Get rid of your pre-conceived notions that you will receive less quality healthcare or have to wait in the doctors office for hours or cannot chose what doctor you can go see. Well, I have news for you - socialized healthcare does not work like that. When I go home to Germany, I get my annual exams there because I get better care than in the USA. I get treated with very modern and cutting-edge technology, receive complete examinations (cancer screenings & blood work), free prescriptions  and can get an appointment at any time. This has always been this way and never was I told to go to a certain doctor, I can chose freely who I want to see for treatment and I get an appointment within a week. I remember going to the doctor here in the states and being taken back by the office equipment that they had - almost like they were stuck in the 1970's...and I still encounter this on occasion here.

I understand that some people follow whatever their parents teach them but really...step outside your comfort zone and really dig into this subject and research what socialized healthcare really means to you and the society you live in.



No comments: